Friday, August 24, 2007

Sticks and Little White Balls and A "Corny" Story

Okay, it's been a long week and I have been a little under the weather hence the lag in my postings this week...But I did buy three pairs of shoes this week online from the comfort of my chair (All for less than $15...and they are fabulous!) I'm feeling better thinking about them...

This week in review:

Golf...in a word...I stink (ok - that's two words). But I loved it -- I amused myself by making Billy Murray sounds as I hit the ball...Doodoodoodoo Dadadada...But, unlike him, I did not steal a custom golf cart in Sweden at 3 a.m. in the morning and get arrested for ingesting too many cold ones. I digress...I steadily improved as the morning wore on and I can honestly say, I think I could get into the game -- the carts are really fun to drive and I think it is really neat that they have a cooler attached to them too. They have to work on the colors of the carts though -- A variety of colors would be neat -- Like the bumper cars at Carowinds, all of the golfers could race to their carts so they get the cool color of their choice...Maybe they could add numbers to the side like NASCAR...That'd be sweet. I call the pink #8 car (my tribute to "Little E" - Dale Earnhardt, Jr. for those who have no clue what I'm talking about - he doesn't drive a pink car but he drives the #8 Bud car which is cool). Actually, a bright yellow #99 car (in honor of "Awesome Bill from Dawsonville" - isn't he still #99?) would be sweet too. Oh - did I tell you I am a closet NASCAR fan? Passion for designer shoes and NASCAR...an oxymoron? Maybe there is a correlation between marching band and fashion, right?

Back to golf....I am happy to report that only one of my balls landed in the water - that was the only ball I lost! (Mark had two in the water)...It helped that we were the only ones on the course too -- I would feel "Masters" pressure if others were playing behind me...I'll have to try that some day. Maybe it won't be quite as fun...Funny thing though....my husband who is the poster child for honesty, integrity and trust is a flippin' cheater...I don't think he realizes it though - he forgets how many shots he has taken (could it be his age? - he just turned 47 this month - or a devious ploy? - your call). Okay, I would count the number of strokes he had taken and inevitably, he'd say, "Well, I shot a 7 on that one..." Uh, wha? That was a 9 mister. But I didn't let on...Twice or maybe three times he did a "do-over" teeing off and didn't count it...He let me do that ONCE! Okay, so we weren't playing competitively but...I am competitive. I didn't injure my arm playing laser ping pong with my 10-year-old nephew Collin because I am passive....(And I lost multiple times - I think it was the paddle). Note to self: When I play my husband in golf (seriously) keep a tally sheet for every stroke he takes.

Now to corn...I have told you about "LM" - aka "Little Man" or Nolan....His other nicknames include "Messy Marvin" and "The Absent Minded Professor...." This story explains those nicknames. I cleaned out his back pack from last year - um, the day before school started (that has Mother of the Year written all over it)...I found awards, information that I should have been following up on over the summer and..........TWO dented cans of corn (along with 2 encyclopedias)...He was supposed to turn in the corn for a Spring food drive at school...or maybe it was a project. WHO KNOWS!?! The kid was lugging about 10 extra pounds of weight on his back in addition to the umpteen books he had stuffed into it! Well, I asked him why in the heck he STILL had the cans of corn in his backpack....He said, "Oh, I forgot to turn them in." Mark was astounded -- He pulled me aside and said, "What the hell is he doing lugging two cans of beat up corn in his back pack? Even the Fort Mill Care Center would not accept these cans as a donation - look at 'em!" ---I had no logical explanation or response (except for screams of laughter). I am just hoping that he didn't club another kid with his back pack. Boys are known to do that... The dents have the suspicious markings of the side of a small head....Well, as I was tucking him in that night, I called him my "Corn Toting Boy." I asked him again why he carried around the cans of corn and left them there....He said, "Well, someone has to support Iowa mom." Corn...Iowa...His dad lives there...I was in stitches.

Nolan's take on Iowa and "living" there this summer...."Mom, there are only three things in Iowa. CORN, Long stretches of highways and itsy, bitsy small towns...." The boy has a point.

The kids have adjusted to school life this week -- the question is, have we? Football, Scouts, private French Horn lessons, band practice, Wendy's (STILL!) during the week...I am glad it's the weekend - I need a break from the hub-bub! Well, gotta check on Nolan and his buddy John - they are trying to fry Egg Beaters in the cul-de-sac (I will do anything to keep them amused!) The girls would "freak" if they knew that Egg Beaters were made from REAL eggs...I am thinking our dinner is already made for tonight (at least Nolan thinks so!)

THOUGHT OF THE DAY: You can never have too many shoes or purses!

No comments: