Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Kindred Spirit AND SHOE OF THE WEEK


I have found someone who thinks like me, talks like me (in my brain...not out loud of course...I am a "lady" - okay friends, DO NOT LAUGH OUT LOUD) and is hilarious like me (well, I'd like to think that I am...my inner narcissist tells me I cause belly laughs with my quick wit...Okay, that's a bit over the top but I'd like to think it's true)...

Jen Lancaster (as in Amish Country or LANK-UH-STER as in just-down-the-road South Carolina...) - She is flippin' HILARIOUS...double over, fall off the chair, cough-inducing hysterical! I am reading (just started today) "Big Lights, Big Ass" (for all of you pull-up wearing "kids" go to bed...this is not G-rated!)...This is her follow up to "Bitter is the New Black" -- We have so many things in common...our love of Cabrini Green (the Chicago "hood" of "Good Times" fame...I got caught there one time...long story), great shoes, stores and clothes (Trader Joe's, Target, Prada...) AND making fun of ourselves...I seriously think that she is ME in Mid-western form....check out her website at www.jennsylvania.com. She calls herself "Governor of Jennsylvania" and my uncle was the Governor of Pennsylvania...coincidence? I THINK NOT! I so want to write a book like her...I've been laid off like her...Didn't make as much money as her but have had similar experiences, nonetheless...I can ramble aimlessly just like her...She's my age (ahem, in Nolan's words now "middle-aged"), she went to Purdue (I think the Boilermaker sweatshirt was the first college sweatshirt I had believe it or not - Pop got it on a business trip)...Her husband's nickname is "Fletch" -- I love that movie...memba it? Again, coincidence? I THINK NOT...Okay, I digress...

SHOE OF THE WEEK

So you're wondering about the Shoe of the Week (okay, humor me...pretend like you are wondering!) Well, it is SUPER relevant...Jen (we're on a first name basis.....in my mind) makes many references to the show "Sex and the City." (HELLO? I have SEC and the City on my blog - look right!) I have watched a few episodes before I had to have the premium cable package cancelled during my single mom days...the ex told me how hilarious the show was...hey, wait a minute! He had the premium package and I couldn't afford it? How did that happen??????...No comment...again, I digress! Well, Mark and I went to NYC on our First Anniversary...LOVED every minute of being in the city. I rejected his advice to wear the "sensible" (aka - ugly-ass MOM shoes)walking around the city - I was going to be Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte and whatshername all in one....I wore these shoes instead and felt like the fierce diva...until we hit Central Park...and I had HUGE, BILLOWING, QUARTER-SIZED blisters on the back of my heels...had to stop in a drug store and perch my BIG ASS (reference to the book) inside a stoop to put band-aids on my heels...and proceeded to wobble around the City (in agony) until we reached Times Square and could stand it no longer...I bought (GASP)HOT PINK DR. SCHOLL'S SHOES...they weren't the epitome of fashion but my arches got their proper work-out...And, I ended up having to wear liquid band-aids and my strappy sandals to "The Lion King"....

What I remember the most from this experience is asking Mark why the ladies on Sex in the City could wear 4-inch heels and not experience the excruciating pain and blisters that I had...His response? "Mary....they take cabs!" Go figure!

If the shoe fits, wear it! Have a great week!

PS - Be sure to check out SEC and the City....(again, right side of the page)...Pop is a "ROCK STAR"!

No comments: